British Tomato Fortnight starts today – set up a few years ago as an incentive for us all to eat more tomatoes. It’s an excellent call as tomatoes are a fantastic source of vitamins A, B6, C, E and K, copper, folate, niacin and potassium. In fact every tomato is packed with super-healthy goodness!
Here are some of those mind & body benefits:
- Eaten raw, the fibre, potassium and vitamin C in every bite help heart health. An increase in potassium intake, along with a decrease in sodium intake, is among the most important dietary changes most people can make to reduce a risk of cardiovascular disease.
- Tomato juice, because of its various phytonutrients, can reduce the risk of blood clots.
- Tomatoes, high in various antioxidants, can strengthen bones by promoting a healthy ratio of calcium in the body. The rich lycopene content in tomatoes can help protect women against the risk of developing osteoporosis.
- Tomatoes are also rich in vitamin K, proven to have major benefits for healthy hair and skin. They will promote hair growth and strength as well as improving its appearance and texture. Tomatoes have also been shown to improve the appearance of skin. They will help to fight spots away and assist in preventing skin cell damage.
- Fresh uncooked tomatoes are the best source of vitamin C. But lycopene levels are raised by cooking tomatoes – good to know as this beneficial phytochemical has been proven to prevent and fight cancer, coronary heart disease and cardiovascular disease. By the way, lycopene is what gives tomatoes their rich red colour!
Of course, eating healthily is only part of the way to being fit, well and healthy. That’s why we’d love to see you at one of our gyms. We’re open 24 hours every day to welcome you.