Playday is the national UK day for play, traditionally held on the first Wednesday in August. So this year Playday is celebrated on Wednesday 7 August. On Playday, thousands of children and their families get out to play at community events across the UK.
The Playday 2019 theme is Play Builds Children. It aims to highlight the many ways in which play is beneficial to children and young people. Naturally, it also applies to grown-ups – and we think getting down to the gym definitely counts as play! Here’s why it’s good for you:
- Play builds friendships – playing allows people to interact with others, develop relationships, deal with conflict, and learn respect and tolerance.
- Play builds resilience – playing boosts confidence, creativity, problem-solving skills and perseverance, enabling us to cope with stress and challenges throughout life.
- Play builds health and wellbeing – being active through play helps us physically and emotionally, contributing to health and happiness.
- Play builds communities – playing allows us to make connections, and develop a sense of identity and belonging.
- Play builds imagination and agility, as well as physical, cognitive and emotional strength.
There is the thought that the opposite of play is not work: it’s depression. So come and play at one of our gyms soon!