So the final whistle has just blown on the last weekend of the Premier League football season, and another load of football is over… Well, almost!
On Wednesday 16th May it’s Marseille v Atletico Madrid in the Europa League Final; then Saturday 19th May sees the FA Cup Final between Manchester United and Chelsea. The following weekend on the 26th May it’s the Champions League Final between Real Madrid and Liverpool.
Oh, and finally just a couple of weeks after that… there’s the start of the four-week footie festival that is this year’s World Cup, being played out in Russia between the best national teams in the world.
So even if you can’t stand football, you won’t be able to avoid it! However, for those who don’t know an offside from a throw-in there is admiration to be had as the players on the pitches at these finals and the World Cup tournament are among the finest athletes of their generation.
And they all needed dedication and belief to reach the top. Here are some brilliant football quotes to inspire you:
- Aim for the sky and you’ll reach the ceiling. Aim for the ceiling and you’ll stay on the floor. Bill Shankly, former Liverpool manager.
- Success is no accident. It is hard work, perseverance, learning, studying, sacrifice and most of all, love of what you are doing or learning to do. Pele, former Brazilian footballer.
- When you win, you don’t get carried away. But if you go step by step, with confidence, you can go far. Diego Maradona, former Argentina & Barcelona player.
- If you do not believe you can do it, then you have no chance at all. Arsene Wenger, Arsenal boss.
- I’ve never played for a draw in my life. Alex Ferguson, former Manchester United boss.
Let these weeks of football be the opportunity for you to kick-off a new you, down at the gym – stick with the winners