This week in 1970, the world’s first “Jumbo Jet” – the Boeing 747 – made its maiden voyage from New York’s John F Kennedy International Airport to London Heathrow. It was a major historical moment that transformed all our lives in terms of travel and seeing new people, places and things around the world.
Of course, there were many aspects that made the flight happen, such as having capable engines and wing designs, skilled pilots and thousands of other factors. But there was one thing right at the beginning of that momentous journey to London that had to be there for anything else to follow on.
It’s the same with any achievement. That includes getting fitter and looking better. We have to believe we can do it. We have to have confidence – the word derives from Latin words meaning “with trust” – that we can reach our goals. It’s something we repeatedly hear from the world’s top athletes and sports stars… that they managed to keep believing, even when the odds were stacked against them.
With that in mind, here are some fantastic quotes about belief.
- “It’s the repetition of affirmations that leads to belief. And once that belief becomes a deep conviction, things begin to happen.” Boxer Muhammad Ali.
- “How long you can continue to be good at something is how much you believe in yourself and how much hard work you do with the training.” Actor Jason Statham.
- “Whether you think you can or you think you can’t, you’re right!” Ford Motor Company founder Henry Ford.
- “Believe in yourself. Believe in your dreams. If you don’t, who will?” Musician Jon Bon Jovi.
- “You’ll see it when you believe it!” – Philosopher, author & motivational speaker Wayne Dyer.
So belief is the starting point for anyone who wants to soar high at whatever they set out to do. It’s the winning mentality, the attitude that gets you over the finishing line after taking the first step, the will that gives you the energy to reach the top of the mountain.
In fact, you can take off to wherever you believe you can go.